Friday, September 05, 2008

My new friend Julie

Earlier this summer our Sunday School class invited Jim Vermilya to come and talk about community outreach opportunities. We ended up having a great discussion in class about the need for community outreach and possible opportunities around us. We ended the class discussing barriers to community outreach. As someone who witnesses the many needs in the community on a daily basis, I became very excited months ago when CWC announced it was developing a strategic plan for community outreach. I feel very passionate about the need for churches to reach out offering helping hands to hurting people around us. There is hardly a day that goes by when I do not come into contact with a child or parent and think, "this person just needs someone to spend time with them and/or love them". I witness often the power of someone simply taking a moment to show value and kindness to another individual. Our communities (and world) are full or people in need. I have come to see that underneath all of the problems and needs people have there seems to be one need they all have in common.... lonliness. During Sunday School as we discussed opportunities for community service it was also announced that CWC would be partnering with World Hope on a project in Africa. My ears instantly perked up as I have felt a pull towards Africa for some time now. Not sure I can totally explain this "pull" I refer to. I know that I have felt for some time the need to visit Africa and see for myself the poverty, sickness and orphaned children I hear about. I left Sunday School that day again excited about the discussion and possibilities. On Tuesday of that week I was going about my day as usual. A friend had called and asked if she could drop her kids off with me for a bit after work. I left work with a to do list: supper, pick up house, clean out car, be home by 6:30 to wathch kids. My mission was clear and I was right on schedule as I headed towards the car wash that evening. As I waitied to turn into Wal Mart and the car wash I saw her. She was sitting on the curb in front of the car wash. She was sitting with her head down and had items surrounding her. I noticed a small piece of cardboard at her feet. I was very curious as I turned into the car wash straining to see what the piece of card board said. As I drove past her I read, "Curb sale". I brought my car to a stop at the area to vacuum your car and went about my business. I moved quickly to vacuum my car so I could be home in time to greet my friend. As I vacuumed I couldn't help but watch this lady sitting on the curb not 15 steps from me. My mind turned with questions and assumptions. What would someone be doing trying to see things by the curb? "What was her story?" "Was she mentally ill?" "Was anyone buying anything from her?" As my mind was turning with these thoughts my heart was telling me to go talk to her. I'm embarrassed to say that I ignored what my heart was telling me. I stuck to my mission. I would glance over at her every once in awhile and tell myself I didn't have time to go talk to her. I told myself that I wouldn't know what to say to her anyway. I thought about how much money I had with me and considered giving her some. But I told myself that I didn't want to be offensive to her and assume she needed money. The little voice would not stop, "go talk to her Missy". I told myself that I would if I had more time.... Then the little voice spoke to me sending an arrow of conviction straight to my heart, "Missy two days ago you sat in SS and considered the possibility of traveling clear to Africa but you are not willing to reach out to someone who is only 15 steps away from you right now?" Ouch! Before I knew it I had hung up the vacuum hose and was walking towards the woman. I know I approached her with no clue what I would say. Not even sure what my first words were. I learned that her name was Julie. She was selling items to raise gas money to travel to her next destination. She was selling a pair of shoes, 2 decorative pillows (she said she found in a car), a box of opened and used Valentines cards and a couple toys from happy meals at McDonalds. Julie shared with me that she had been homeless for 12 years. I asked if she had any family and she said she thought she had a neice in Kansas City. Julie lives out of her car and moves from town to town as she finds enough gas money. She told me that I was the first person who had stopped to talk to her that day. She was easy to talk to. I listened as she talked about politics.... She was dirty, disheveled and I believed likely mentally ill. Yet she is precious in the eyes of God. After visiting awhile I told her I needed to go. I then did what I thought was the "Christian thing" to do and told her I'd be praying for her. Her reply surprised me and caught me off guard. She said, "great I could use that" and she bowed her hear. Confused I asked if she wanted me to pray with her right then. She indicated that she did. I sat beside my new friend Julie on the curb and started to pray. I got out, "Dear Lord thank you for this day of life" before I got choked up and could not continue. I was embarrassed as I sat there crying. Julie sat there with her head still bowed. She didn't seem to even notice my tears. I sat there ashamed for my selfish attitude earlier and overwhelmed with thankfulness for the blessings in my life. I pulled myself together, finished praying, gave Julie some money and then bid her goodbye. The next day I noticed she was sitting on the same curb again. It was very hot that day and she was sitting there in the same clothes she had been wearing the day before. There was no internal conflict as I pulled into the lot and greeted her again. She said she remembered me although I was not sure she really did. We visited for a short time and I left. The next day as I passed by "her" spot I looked to see if she was still there. There she sat with her head down and in the same clothes. As I headed to an appointment I decided that I would put together a care package of sorts and stop to see her later. I picked up some toiletry type items and a Bible to give Julie. I headed towards "her" spot eager to visit with her and give her this gift. As I rounded the corner I was disappointed to find that she was gone. I passed by several more times that day and the next. She had left. As the days passed I wondered what became of Julie. I will likely never see my new friend again. I had just two brief interactions with this person yet God has used her in my life. She comes to mind often. I never pass "her" spot when I am not reminded of the many things I have to be thankful for. God has also used her to remind me that I don't have to travel to Africa to be a part of a missions trip or community outreach. I am surrounded by opportunities everywhere I go. There are "Julie's" at work, church, Wal Mart, sitting on curbs..... I am trying to work on not being so focused on my agenda that I miss seeing the "Julie's" in my life.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tara said...

My dear friend, Missy- Thank you for taking the time to share the life lessons you learn with all who may read your blog. I love, admire and miss you so much. It's encouraging to hear that you let God use your sensitive heart to make a difference in the ones He loves and we often overlook. I hope to be able to slow my agenda down, as well, and have time for those God may place in my path.

10:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a great story and I still think you need to write a book. You do a great job putting into words what others can't articulate. Thanks for being faithful to serve. You're a good friend.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Missy!
sr

10:29 AM  
Blogger Jaena said...

I just checked up on your blog and found this. Thanks for listening to God and for sharing the story with us.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home