Friday, August 29, 2008

"You have the power to be brave"

My sister recently shared with me a conversation that took place between my 6 yr. old neice Chloe and 4 yr. old neice Sophie. Chloe and Sophie discovered this summer that one of their favorite things to do is to chase butterflies and attempt to catch them in butterfly nets. One day when they were out in the yard chasing butterflies Chloe apparently had trouble moving a captured butterfly from the net to her waiting "butterfly home" (some sort of container). She likely was a bit anxious about the butterfly flapping around in the net trying to get free. Sophie looked at her and said, "Chloe you have the power to be brave". Apparently at Bible School this summer the kids were taught a lesson about how God gives is the power to be brave. Ever think kids aren't listening to the things they hear or noticing the things they see? I am often amazed at the things kids catch on to and the simple lessons we as adults can learn from them. I thought Sophie's statement to Chloe was precious! Sophie may not have quoted a Bible verse to go along with the lesson. She has not yet had to deal with many "big" fears and battles that life naturally brings to us yet she got the message of the lesson. God gives us the power to be brave. As I went about my week after talking with my sister I found myself hearing Sophie's wise words in my head. As I dealt with a challenge at work that seemed too big for me I heard Sophie's little voice saying, "Missy you have the power to be brave". Somehow I felt encouraged. As I was riding my bike one night feeling discouraged and like giving up again I heard the 4 yr. old voice telling me to keep going because God gives me the power to be brave. What a lesson I have learned. I often find myself in meetings where I am try to understand and follow what's being said while most of the content flies right over my head. I am thankful that God often uses very simple avenues to speak to me.

On a side note... Sophie went to the chiropractor this week (recommended treatment for her asthma). Sophie is generally a child without fear who looks forward to visiting the doctor. She went to the chiropractor once before and did not enjoy the experience at all and cried the whole time. I asked her the other night if she was brave at the chiropractor's that day. She said, "yeah, but I didn't smile at him". :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home