Monday, August 07, 2006

Conversation with a stranger

I've been thinking...... about a conversation I had with a stranger last week. I don't know what her name was. All I know is that she was a Grandmother with broken English, a life time of pain, and a lesson to teach me. I met this stranger at a meeting she attended with her troubled Grandson. My agenda that day was very simple: listen to several families come in and tell there stories, give my opinion on what should happen, and get back to the office ASAP. I had a million things waiting for me at the office and didn't have time to waste at this meeting. When this particular Grandmother was done talking I had a quick question for her. Rather then ask in front of everyone I followed her out into the hallway. I asked my quick question but she did not give a short answer. In fact it seemed that her aswer rolled into a whole other topic. I found myself growing impatient after about 60 seconds of her rambling. I am not proud to say that I was not listening to her. I did my best to be kind. I kept thinking, "I need to get back into my meeting, I could be missing something important". I attempted to re-direct her and end the conversation at least three times. Didn't this stranger know that she was blocking my agenda? She was taking too much of my precious time. She talked about her Grandson. She talked about the tragedy that he had already known in his short life. She talked about her own children and the tragedy's that they experienced. I felt the Lord convict check my attitude. I talk often to the people I supervise about the value they need to show others. I tell them, "if you do nothing else in your time with families then show them value, you have done much". How hypocritical I was being as I attempted to get out of this conversation! I was thinking, "why did I follow this Chatty Cathy out here". I wasn't thinking, "how can I show this woman value?" About 10 minutes into our conversation she may have sensed by my body language that I was ready to go. She apologized for taking my time and then thanked me for just listening to her. She explained that she has no one to talk to and appreciated my kindness. I instantly felt convicted and ashamed of my attitude. Here I was in a hurry to get back to my business of helping pople and totally ready and willing to ignore this opportunity that God palced right in front of me. Instantly my heart softened and I continued to engage this stranger in conversation. She went on to share her life story. She talked about the physical abuse she had known her entire 49 year marriage. I was amazed as I often am of the personal details people share with a stranger when they are desperate for someone to talk to. She shared with me details about her wedding and first years of marriage. She shared with me what it was like to be abused on your wedding night... It was obvious that this poor stranger was full of years of bottled up pain. My meeting ended and people filed out of the meeting room and past my stranger friend and I. Most of them pased by as if they did not notice us standing there. I am sure they did not want to be pulled in to a conversation that would take them away from there next agenda. A couple of them turned towards me behind the strangers back and rolled their eyes in empathy towards me. It did not matter. We finished our conversation and the stranger thanked me over and over for my kindness. "It was so nice to just talk to someone she said". We went our seperate ways then. This stranger who I had a 30 minute conversation with left a mark on me that day. I was reminded that it only takes a short amount of time (often less than 30 minutes) to show someone value. I ask myself, "how many times do I pray that God will help me love others and then completely look over the others he puts in my path?" Do I only love others when they fit into my agenda? I'm not sure how many things I was able to cross off my "to do" list at work that day. I don't think it mattered. If I was able to show value to a hurting individual by simply listening to her story then I think my day was successful. As I shared in my previous post, I am seeking ways to focus on the important things in life. For me the important things in life are people. I am ashamed that I came very close to missing out on this encounter with a stranger that day because of my list of things to do. I have found that most of the time the things on my important to do list are really not important at all.

9 Comments:

Blogger Kelley said...

Such a valuable lesson. One I need to take to heart. Thanks for sharing it with us. Hope you had a good weekend. I told Lynn I'd like to have you guys for dinner sometime this week or next before diving back into my work routine. :) Give me a call.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Don't you find it hard to be in a profession that requires you to be around people much of the day who have some issues to deal with? To have a caring spirit day in and day out is a tough task. Only a person with a big heart and a lot of patience could do what you do - I admire what you do! Glad you've been thinking and posted :)

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missy-
I love this post. A reminder to us all to stop and remember what it's really all about.

Also- i'm glad you are a blogger now. I happen to be a stalker, I will add yours to my daily list. I will issue a blog citation if you don't update often. We need to do a bible study together again!!!!!! Any ideas? Shannon White-

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Missy,
Thanks for the comment on Deb's blog about the laziness of not being serious about creating a blog. I know I technically have the time to do the initial blog and good friends like you and Kel to help me out. But the real reason that I can't is because I love to write and I'd spend much more time than I should blogging like I have this week and thus, i'd have to sacrifice my devotion life. I just can't afford to do that. It's been fun chatting with all of you this week. For once, I can actually be "a part of the group". Next week, is back to reality. I'll still drop in every now and then. That is, if you all can handle it. :)

9:46 AM  
Blogger Jaena said...

You have such good thoughts, Missy...I read this the other day and wanted to comment, but thinking about the life of this woman made me so sad. The task-oriented side of me definitely struggles with taking time for people at times. This post was a good reminder about what is really important.

12:21 PM  
Blogger Jason Grate- Ordinary Extraordinary- Simple Stories of Lessons learned said...

Hey Missy! Was so pleasantly surprised to see you'd entered the blogging world. (Now if we could just get ol' Jer and Jen along for the ride....) Emmy talks about you all the time and is always telling me some story about you but it escapes me at the moment... Anywho... I'll add your link!

7:16 PM  
Blogger Missy said...

Wow! What a surprise to log in this morning and see more comments. Thanks for taking the time to read and then comment! I am hoping I will get into the swing of things and be able to post more often. Hoping to get a computer at home soon. To answer you Deb, yes it is absolutely exhausting most days being around so many people with needs.... It is the staff as well as clients many days. There are many days I don't handle the stress well and check out mentally when they are talking. I try to take deep breaths and tell myself that it is an incredible honor to get to spend time with these people (that thought does not come as quickly as it should :) )

Shannon, I was just thinking the other day that I hadn't seen you in a long time. I will start thinking about Bible study ideas.

Anonymous, I can't figure out who you are. Will you ever give your real name? :)

Jaena thanks for the comment. I wonder if I will ever cross paths with the woman again.

Holly, I think it's so funny that Emmy is talking about me? She is such a cutie! I love her little personality. She did love sneaking up on me in the pool as I floated on my raft and scaring me. She is precious! Thanks for adding my link. I'm working on the Hite's!

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

....i'll tell you my name if you tell me how you've developed your incredible talent of double sending your comments.......love ya Missy. :)

10:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Missy- my secret club is thinking about doing a Beth Moore- want in? Shannon

7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home