Monday, August 25, 2008

My first race

I checked another "first" off my to do list yesterday.

A bit of history first. Many of you know that by some I am not described as a person who takes risks or steps out of her comfort zone. I think that's a nice way for people to tell me I'm no fun and afraid of everything :). About a year (closer to two) year ago I decided to start facing some fears and take some risks. I decided it was time to start some new activities. Now, I didn't go crazy and sign up for sky diving classes. I did face a HUGE fear almost 2 years ago and got contact lenses. I realize that as soon as some of you read that you are thinking, "WOW! She really lives life on the edge!" But for me that involved facing a pretty big fear. I've had glasses since my senior year of high school. My eyes are very sensitive and I've never been able to handle putting drops in my eyes. I was never able to get past the though of placing an object on my eye ball on purpose. For 12 years (or so :) ) I dreamed of being able to go into a store and purchase "regular" sun glasses like everyone else. Yet, I could not get past my fear of sticking something on my eye. I finally decided I needed to just face the fear and give them a try. I was shocked at how easy it was and kicked myself for not trying it years earlier. I think I felt as if I'd just jumped from a plane as I left the doctor's office with objects on my eyes that I had placed there on purpose. How fun it was to go to the store and shop for sun glasses.

Fast forward a year and a half later to yesterday. Yesterday I pinned a piece of paper with the number 6129 on it to my shirt. As I looked down at the piece of paper I realized that that I was crossing off another first on my list. This was something I have always wanted to do. I was pinning my race number to my shirt before I took part in my first official race. I suppose I should fight the impulse to tell you this was a 5k run I was a part of. I'm a bit embarrassed to tell you that this was the Corporate Challenge time predicted 1 mile walk. Yes I did say 1 mile. Having never participated in the time predicted walk I was ingorant to the rules. I assumed that if you were part of a competition you would walk a mile as fast as you could. However, I was informed that I needed to walk a mile and report my time. The challenge was then to walk the mile yesterday at the same pace as the time I recorded earlier. This seemed to take a little pressure off but it also seemed a little silly to me. At any rate I showed up yesterday in my new running shorts, running cleats, sports bra and head band. Can I just say this turned out to be my kind of race. As it turned out the times of all 5 people on our team were added together and this decided the time our team had to walk the mile in. One person on the team did now show up. The mathmatician spoke up and said, "this means we will have to walk as slow as possible". My ears perked up some as I was already half way through my water bottle before we started. We had to make up for the 20 minutes this person who did not show up would have walked. Due to the heat stroke I was experiencing, I was a little confused as to how it would all work but I did get the message that this race was about who could walk the slowest. No problem. I could walk slow and I could do it well! When the race official blew his whistle my team took off out of the gate at a turtle's pace. I was even told by someone at one point to slow down. I don't think I've ever been told that before. I actually crossed the finish line to discover that I walked about 33 seconds too fast. What a bizarre competition! I feel so inspired after watching the olympics and completing my first race yesterday that I'm considering signing up for a n Ironman Triathalon. :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Triple Mom said...

Congrats Missy....I think that's great. We should have made Sunday night a celebratory party for you!~Molly~

8:32 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Missy, you are the best! You make me laugh and I so relate to every word that comes from your mouth. I'm so glad we're friends! I would be happy to make you my first "project" btw! :)

9:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Missy! I am so proud of you!! I am looking forward to seeing you bike in the triathlon. You are the woman!
SCR

10:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to go, Missy! I am so proud of you!! I am looking forward to seeing you bike in the triathlon. You are the woman!
SCR

10:49 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

I am so proud of my friend. Way to go on walking a slow mile. ;) When will you be riding bike? I can't remember when that one happens...Think you'll luck out again and find out you get training wheels or something? Your contact story made me giggle, too. You are just so brave. A real inspiration to me. Actually, Roby would have the same trouble so I kinda understand how hard it would've been for you. (Reading this blog sure is going to make me miss you!)

7:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home